Over the last month, giant historical posters depicting Godmanchester’s past have sprung up around the town.
Godmanchester museum together with the Friends from St Mary’s Church have created large posters with messages and pictures from the early 1900s. The posters are reproduction photographs from the Porch Museum’s archive of the town.
The most prominent of these is a set of 3 placed on the Vicarage wall which is right at the centre of the town. They are scenes of the rural town at different time scales and it is remarkable how little has changed.
Island Hall has two posters both showing the house in earlier times. One is taken in the 1940’s after its requisition during World War ll and shows the 16th century mansion almost in ruins with smashed windows. The second shows the owner, Christopher Vane Percy’s family, in the courtyard in Victorian times.
There are two more, one prominently displayed in the fishing shop, Stanjay’s, window filling the whole space, showing scenes of fishing in time gone by and the other filling the whole of the front of a cottage in Cambridge Street