There is something comforting about Slow cooked foods. A warm hug in a bowl.
This ragu is a perfect example of a simple and packed with flavour family meal.
10 Minutes Preparation Time
4 Hours Cooking Time
I N G R E D I E N T S
400g Beef Shin
3 Garlic Cloves
1 Tin Chopped Tomatoes
1tbs Chilli Flakes
1 Beef Stock Cube
4 Cups Pasta
M E T H O D
– Start by setting the oven to 120c.
– Now, heat an oven proof bowl over a high heat. I use my cast iron pot.
– Add a splash of oil and brown the meat. Try to add the meat in two stages as it allows the temperature
of the pan to stay high and the meat will brown better for it.
– Remove the browned meat and place to one side.
– Dice the onion and the carrots into small pieces.
– Add another splash of oil to the pan and reduce to a medium heat. Cook the onions until brown, be
careful not to burn them. Then add the carrots and crush in the garlic. Cook for a couple of minutes to
release the garlic smells. Then season with salt and pepper.
– Add the spices and stock cube, then cover with the tinned tomatoes and water. Stir and bring to a
simmer. Once simmering place in the oven for 3 hours.
– Remove from the oven and remove the chunks of meat carefully. Then using a fork, shred the meat. (I
remove the meat as it helps with portioning when serving, its much easier to make sure everyone gets
the right amount of meat. There is nothing worse than only having a little and the person next to you has
– Add the spinach to the ragu, stir and cover to allow the spinach to wilt.
– Cook your choice of pasta. Make sure to add a couple of tablespoons of the pasta water to the ragu, it
helps make it glossy.
– Once the pasta is cooked, drain and add to the ragu.
– Then fold through the meat and ENJOY topped with plenty of cheese.
Thank you to Emma for contributing this recipe and can be found at www.ELFoodielife.co.uk
And also on Instagram @elfoodielife