Mediterranean Stuffed Aubergine
1 Medium Onion (Red or White)
2 Cloves of Garlic (Minced)
50g Green Pitted Olives
10 Plum Tomatoes
Handful of Bread Crumbs
Handful of Freshly Chopped Basil
Note: if you don’t have fresh basil you can use 1/2 teaspoon of dried basil instead.
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200c or gas mark 6.
2. Half the aubergine lengthways.
3. Using a spoon remove the flesh creating a well in each half of the aubergine, put the aubergine flesh to one side.
4. Drizzle the aubergine in olive oil & season the with salt and pepper.
5. Place the aubergine halves on a baking tray, cover with foil and place on the middle shelf of the preheated oven for approximately 18-20 mins.
6. While the aubergine is in the oven you can prep your filling by dicing the onion, half the tomatoes and the olives, press the garlic cloves, roughly chop the flesh from the aubergine, if using fresh basil finely chop and tear your mozzarella into bite size chunks.
7. Once you have prepped your filling, heat two tablespoons of oil in a non-stick pan on a medium heat.
8. Add the onions to the pan until soft and translucent, add the garlic for 30 seconds, followed by the chopped aubergine and cook for a further 2-3mins.
9. Turn the heat down low now you can add your tomatoes your olives, mozzarella and the basil followed with a good pinch of salt and pepper.
10. Once your aubergine is ready take out of the oven, lower the oven heat to 180.
11. Add the filling to your baked aubergine halves, top them with a handful of breadcrumbs and drizzle with olive oil.
12. Placed on the top shelf of the oven for approximately 15 minutes or until breadcrumbs have turned golden.
Recipe written by Tom French