3 large eggs
170g self raising flour
170g caster sugar 6oz
170g unsalted butter (room temp)
Zest of 1 Large Orange
Juice of 1 Large Orange (the one you zested)
110g Icing Sugar
Couple of squares of Dark Chocolate (optional)
1. Line a loaf tin with some baking parchment & pre-heat your oven to 180C/350F
Note: I always use a hand whisk when baking, but you can use a electric mixer.
2. Cream together your butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Add your eggs and beat together whilst slowly adding your flour.
3. Beat together and when the mixture has come together, ensure you get plenty of air into your mixture by folding it, until it’s a nice smooth batter.
4. Pour the batter into your loaf tin & bake for around 30-35mins.
Whilst your loaf is baking you can make your orange glaze.
5. Mix together your icing sugar & orange juice until its smooth.
6. When your loaf has been in the oven for 30mins check the loaf by inserting a skewer into the middle, if it comes out clean it’s done. If not, give it a few mins more.
7. When the loaf has baked, use your skewer to poke holes all over the cake, all the way down to the bottom and pour over your orange glaze.
8. Wait for the glaze to set for around 5 minutes and then remove the loaf from the tin.
9. You can melt a few squares of dark chocolate and drizzle this over the loaf as a finishing touch.
Recipe & tested by Claire Louise Obee. Photo by Claire Louise Obee