Care Network Cambridgeshire is a local charity that’s been supporting people and communities for over 35 years to live happier, healthier, and independent lives.
It all started when a vicar’s wife reflected on how hard it was for some people when they returned home to an empty house after hospital. She set up a scheme with local volunteers offering a range practical help – from collecting shopping or prescriptions to helping look after pets whilst people recovered. It was decided then that the support should be run by and freely available to absolutely everyone.
And because volunteers felt both needed and appreciated, they stayed with the scheme.
Today Care Network still offers a free short-term Help at Home service to people who need help whilst they recover from a hospital stay, illness or personal crisis. And as prevention is better than cure, they offer a range of other support to help people stay independent and connected to their community.
Their core services include:
- Help at Home: Practical and emotional volunteer support at home following a hospital stay, period of illness, or crisis, to help people regain independence and avoid further admissions
- Community Navigators: Empowering people to live safe and well within their communities with accessible information and advice
- Wellbeing: One-to-one support to enhance wellbeing, build confidence and help people to reengage with their community
Listeners can find out more about the charity at https://care-network.org.uk/ or by phoning 01954 211919.
Would you like to get involved? There are many ways you can help, such as:
- Share information about the charity with people who may need a helping hand;
- Follow @CareNetworkCambs on social media or visit the website at https://care-network.org.uk/;
- Make a donation, complete a challenge or host a fundraiser to help the charity continue its work. Every pound raised helps them be there to support people in need. Visit https://care-network.org.uk/funding-and-donations/, phone 01954 774803 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about how you can help.
- Volunteer! Share your time and skills in a meaningful way. Get in touch by emailing email@example.com, phone 01954 211919, or you can browse opportunities at https://care-network.org.uk/volunteer